Commonly Requested Institutional Medicaid Documents

If your loved one needs to be placed in a nursing home, but they don't have enough resources to pay for long-term care, he or she can apply for Medicaid. All institutional Medicaid applications must go through the local County Board of Social Services. Timing is essential when applying for institutional Medicaid because retroactive eligibility is limited to three months. People often have questions about the documents and forms required to apply for Medicaid, and the short time frame often makes people flustered. To help you and your loved one apply for institutional Medicaid with as little stress as possible, here is a list of the documentation you need and some tips for completing the paperwork.

1. Five Years' Worth of Bank Statements

Even if the bank accounts are closed, you will need to provide five years' worth of bank statements for the Medicaid application. This includes all bank accounts that were open during the past five years with the claimant's name on them or their spouse's name. If there are any large balances appearing on the first of the month of any statement, copies of cancelled checks may also be required.

2. Monthly Income Verification

You will need to provide the local County Board of Social Services with verification of the applicant's gross monthly income. This includes copies of social-security benefits, VA benefits, private pensions, rental income, earned income or wages, and any other type of income. Even income received less than monthly must be reported, such as in the case of royalties.

3. Medicare and Social-Security Cards

A copy of the front and back of the applicant's social-security card and Medicare card should suffice.

4. Probated Will

If the applicant is a widow or widower, then a copy of the probated will of the deceased spouse must be provided. If someone other than the applicant's spouse passed away and left the applicant with property, then a copy of that probated will also needs to be provided.

5. Copies of Mortgages and Other Loans

Any mortgage, loan, trust, or other promissory notes with an account balance must be provided with the application. A photo copy should suffice.

6. Copies of Power-of-Attorney Documents, Letters of Guardianship, Letters of Conservatorship

If the application has a standing Power of Attorney, Letters of Guardianship, Letter of Conservatorship, or any other similar type of legal document in effect, then copies of such documents must be included with the institutional Medicaid application.

7. All Insurance Policies

A current statement for any and all open insurance policies must accompany the Medicaid application. This includes policies for automobiles, boats, and RV's. You also must include copies of any life-insurance policies, burial policies, and vault and casket policies. If the applicant also has Medicare Part D, hospital, or cancer insurance, than copies of the Rx cards and policies must be provided. The statements must show the premium amount, frequency of payment, and name of the person responsible for making the payments. If the policy is paid for via an automatic bank draft, then a copy of a cancelled check or bank statement is also required.

8. Property Deeds

If the Medicaid applicant currently owns any property, then the deeds of this property must also be included with the application. This includes real-estate property, timber rights, life estate, and inherited property. The Medicaid application process requires that any transfer deeds, like a quit claim deed or warranty deed is included along with the acquisition deed.

9. Burial Contracts

If the applicant already has a burial contract with an itemized list of charges for all burial items, then that should be included with the application. If there is a burial plot, then verification of the owner of this plot is required as well.

10. Title Papers and Tag Receipts

Copies of automobile titles and tags are required for any applicant who owns a car, truck, motor home, boat, or other recreational vehicle.

11. Investment-Account Statements

If the applicant has any investment accounts, like stocks, bonds, IRAs, savings bonds, CDs, 401(k)s, or mutual funds, current statements for these accounts are required.

12. Divorce Papers

If the applicant is divorced, a copy of the divorce document is required.

Now that you have a better idea of the documents required to file for institutional Medicaid, the application process should be much easier to complete. If you have any questions, contact your local County Board of Social Services, a company like Senior Solutions of Long Island, Inc., or an attorney, and they will be happy to help you.